The Week of the Dragon: Dragon Activities for Young Children

Summer has just begun which means I need to find a way to keep my two little ones busy! As a speech therapist I love doing themed activities.  I also love to continue building my kids speech and language skills. This summer my kids chose to do animals for our topic,  so I will be coming up with activities revolving around one animal per week. I will have different activities such as books,  snacks,  crafts,  yoga poses, etc..  Check back for more animal activities to use with your youngens at home, in the classroom, or in therapy.   

In week one, we're starting with the dragon!  My son's choice 😀.  We always start the week reading. I like getting both fiction and non- fiction at various levels. Books are a great way to expose young children to new vocabulary.   Here are my top choices for the books we read:

Dear Komodo Dragon-  This was a great book to teach my kids about a real "dragon".  This is my son's favorite animal, so he loved learning all the facts.  It was written in a fun style that also held my younger daughter's attention.



Oh No Little Dragon- This book was my daughter's favorite.  It had very cute illustrations and she loves the words "Oh No".



Dragon Craft
I love letting my children use the imaginations and work on problem solving,  so I left our craft pretty open ended.   I gave them a paper towel tube to use as the body, put out some other craft supplies and we all got to work making our dragons.   When working on crafts I focus on using longer sentences with my kids and teaching a lot of descriptor words.  It can also be a great opportunity to target following multi- step directions. Here is what we're came up with:




Dragon Yoga
I always use yoga as my rainy day activity.   It is a great activity for small children and adults alike.   Here are the Dragon poses I found:


I also love cosmic kids yoga and they have a dragon adventure you can take the kids on.


Dragon Snacks
For our dragon themed snack we tried Dragon fruit, rambutan (our dragon egg), and kiwanis (our dragon guts)!  I love using our themed snack to get my picky eater to try new things.   This was my first time trying these fruits too!

Dragon Heart


Dragon Egg


Dragon Guts


Dragon Songs
All of my kids are excited for music time and loved these dragon songs.  My son also worked on writing his own dragon songs on the piano.

We started with the most classic dragon song, Puff the Magic Dragon.  We followed along with the book that we have.  That is especially helpful for my youngest.


This dragon song was great for teaching emotions and also incorporated some movement.


The last dragon song we did was a spin off of We're Going On a Bear Hunt.  


This one made for a fun week.   I can't wait to see what they pick for next week. Stay tuned for more fun activities.   If you have any suggestions for additional Dragon activities you love please comment below!

Dragon Lesson Plan
  1. YOGA: Start your session with movement and introducing the topic.
  2. BOOK: Introduce the vocabulary and start giving ideas for the craft.  Point out the different parts of the dragon in the pictures.
  3. CRAFT: Work on following directions to gather supplies, requesting for help, more, and describing/retelling when showing each other the final product.
  4. MUSIC: Work on requesting and describing the music.  You can also incorporate instruments.
  5. SNACK: Work on requesting, describing, trying new foods, and following directions for clean up.
  6. RECAP:  Review the session by answering WH questions and sharing favorite parts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sensory Path

Owl Baby Crafts